Thursday 31 December 2015

Tis the Season to be Sniffly - Natural Cold Remedies

I love this time of year - it's Christmas! It's family and friends, it's time off work, and most of all - it's party season!

It's also prime time to get a cold. I've manage to dodge all sneezes and sniffles up to now until BAM, the eve of New Years Eve I get a full blown classic cold. I'm determined not to let this stand in my way of having a good time on one of the biggest nights of the year - so here are a few things that I do when I get a cold to stave off the symptoms and get back to my old self.



Hot Lemon and Ginger

I drink this a lot of the time anyway as I love the taste and I also see a huge difference in my overall complexion when I've been drinking it. Lemon is full of vitamin C, and it also acts as a natural antibiotic so it really soothes your throat. Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and helps with clearing your nose! It can also help fight off colds (I've been drinking hot ginger on it's own all month and it's done a pretty goof job up until now. You can't beat 'em all).

Fresh Mint

I love, love, love fresh mint tea. Breathing in the steam from this when it's hot is so relaxing and also clears you up. I'm not really sure of any huge health benefits for colds from drinking this but it just chills me out and provides a brief relief.

Oranges and Satsumas

It's all about loading up on the vitamin C! I love any fresh fruit, especially when I have a cold, but I'm loading up on this.



Cucumber

This is an old one that most people know about already - two slices of cucumber on your (closed) eyes for around half an hour will reduce puffiness and redness. Two very sexy attributes to having a cold. Lovely. I team mine with a Manuka Honey mask. 


Echinacea

I've only very recently heard of this - echinacea is a herb that boosts your immune system, thus relieving the symptoms of colds and flu. Apparently you can take it as soon as you get the first signs of a cold and it can help stave it off - but I was far too late for that this time around so I've taken one tonight. I think it has helped a little bit - they are just bought from a supermarket so I'm sure they can't be that strong. If you are on any medication though or any other herbs it is always best to check with a medical professional before taking this, just to be on the safe side.



Of course, there's a huge variety of cold and flu remedies that you can buy over the counter. I like to stay away from these if I can help it, but if you know something that works for you then go for it. You can use all of the natural remedies alongside them (just check with echinacea first!)

Have an amazing time tonight whatever you're doing and don't let a cold get in your way!

Happy New Year!
Gracie xo
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Soul Healths. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig