Saturday 6 February 2016

Agnus Castus - The Lowdown and FAQs




So far I've spoken a little bit about my external skincare routine, which does a great job in contributing to my overall skin health. But what you put on your face is only a small part of getting - and staying - clear. If you really want to get fully clear, you need to look at a number of contributing factors, such as diet, intolerances, and hormonal imbalances, and understand what's going on inside your body.

It took a long time for me to understand this. For years I was convinced that there would be a "cure", a medication that I could take once and I'd stay clear forever. This is ultimately how Roaccutane was presented to me, as "the cure". It wasn't.

After a lot of research and a lot of trial and error, I found out about Agnus Castus. This was a huge turning point for me. After a few months I started to see some big results, not just on my face, but for the rest of my body too. 

What is it?

It's a herb that comes from the Chaste tree, which is why you'll sometimes hear of it as Chasteberry. Another common name for is it Vitex, and those who know about it refer to is as the "women's herb". 

What does it do? 

A number of things! The main thing is that it regulates your T.O.M (time of month...). This is it's primary use, and once you're regular most women find that a whole host of other issues, such as unbearable cramps, PMS, and acne, are greatly reduced as a result of this. So when you hear about Agnus castus being helpful for acne, this is why.

How long does it take to work?

Three months for the full effect. However, I started to clear up after only one month of use.

I've taken it, and it didn't work for me. Why?

It could be one of a few main reasons:

Taking the wrong dosege. You could have taken a very small dosage, and while this can still have a effect, if the dosage is too small you won't see any difference.
Getting it from a reliable source. I used to take my Agnust Castus from Holland and Barrett in capsule form, and it was great for around 4 months, until they changed the packaging. I was told it had just been re-branded, but I could see a change from the first month and another 3 months on all my hard work had been undone and I was back to square one! That's because they've reduced the dosage in the capsules and it's basically rendered them useless. So it is always worth checking.
Taking it at the wrong time. Agnus Castus is most effective first thing in the morning, upon waking. The later in the day that you take it, the less effect it can have. 

I'm on the contraceptive pill. Can I still take it?

No! It can interfere with the hormones in the pill. If you are on any other kind of medication then always consult your GP and/or Medical Herbalist before taking.

I already have regular periods. Should I still take it?

Now, I've never really come across many people with bang on, regular as clockwork periods and severe acne. In females acne is usually related to hormonal irregularities and imbalances and a big factor of this is irregular periods, and acne is a knock on effect of this. However, I'm aware that this may be the case for some people. If you are suffering with acne and your periods are regular, I'd look at your diet and any intolerances you may have as a starting point before considering any herbs or medications that interfere with your hormones.

For me, Agnus Castus has been a little miracle worker, and I have taken it for over two years now <3 It took a combination of things to get me fully clear, but Agnus Castus is the backbone of my skincare routine and does the majority of the work.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Soul Healths. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig