Wednesday 2 March 2016

Where to start? Good supplements to support healing your skin




When deciding to take the leap into healing your skin naturally it's difficult to know where to start. There's a wealth of vitamins and supplements available, which is amazing as there is choice and you can tailor something specifically to you. Everybody is different and you need to find something that works for your unique amazing self <3

However, all the options can be overwhelming and each one has slightly different benefits. So where to start? 

I've put together a list of good, strong overall supplements that you can use as a starting point. Additionally, I've also included a list of supplements that you should think that little bit more carefully about before you try them. None of the supplements on this list are harmful as such. It's just that my experience on them wasn't very positive, so I stopped in quick succession. So, without further ado:

Strong Players



Zinc

Zinc is an amazing supplement for your overall health. It strengthens your immune system (I didn't suffer from one cold whilst I was taking it!) and it contributes in balancing your hormones. It also gave me the most incredibly vivid dreams for the first few weeks which was an interesting bonus. Always take Zinc a good few hours after a meal (I took it in the evening) as taking it on an empty stomach can bring on nausea!

Omega 3

Fish oil is praised highly as it is bursting with healthy omega 3 fatty acids which contribute to a beautiful complexion. It is best to get this from your diet, however taking it daily as a supplement is a great way of making sure that you're getting your dose of essential fatty acids.

Evening Primrose Oil

I took this every day for months as I heard it worked like a dream in combination with Agnus Castus. It is an omega 6 fatty acid which again contributes to a healthy complexion. I did feel that my skin was a little more softer and 'glowy' whilst I was taking this, however this could have been a combination of this and the omega 3 supplements.




Be Careful


Saw Palmetto 

If your confused by this one, bear with me! Usually used by men to support a 'healthy prostate gland', saw palmetto reduces the level of testosterone in the body. As my body was producing too much testosterone and testosterone is the hormone that causes acne, I thought it would solve my problems pretty effectively. I took it for less than a month as it gave me 'brain fog', a sort of weird feeling that isn't a headache, everything is just a bit fuzzy. I didn't like this, so I stopped straight away. Also it acts as a diuretic, so I was going to the toilet a LOT. Not fun.

DIM (Estroblock).

You may have heard of Estroblock before. It is a popular brand name for the supplement commonly known as 'DIM', or Dindolymethane. Some people absolutely swear by this. There are multiple instagram accounts praising it's glory. It is said to rid your body of excess Estrogen, or cleanse your body of the 'bad' Estrogen's that can accumulate over time through taking the contraceptive pill, and via plastics in the environment, etc. I do see some merit in this theory, as all of the hormones in the contraceptive pill are man-made, nothing comes close to the real thing. It is very popular in America, and the brand 'Estroblock' is pushed a lot as a miracle supplement, which makes me very wary and dubious. Did I buy it? Yes, and it was pricey, I had to get it shipped and it was difficult to find a reliable source. Did I take it? No. I was too concerned. I did take 'DIM' for a while without any notable difference. If you've had a good experience on either DIM or Estroblock and you're from the U.K, please comment below as I'd love to hear about it.

Vitamin A

I don't know why I thought taking this was a good idea. I took it when I had lost control of my regime and when I was struggling with my skin again, and looking for a quick fix. Vitamin A can be beneficial but I would only take it if you are deficient and have been instructed to do so by a doctor. It can be very dangerous otherwise. Roaccutane is basically an overdose of Vitamin A, which acts as a poison to your body in high doses.

Overall, supplements and herbal remedies should be used to 'support' your system alongside a healthy diet and lifestyle. Taking a huge amount of supplements alongside a rubbish diet will do nothing to heal your skin, and no one supplement has miracle properties. However, they are a great way to help you on your healing journey.

If anybody has any experiences on the supplements mentioned, comment below! I'd love to hear your stories.

Gracie xo<3

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Soul Healths. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig