Wednesday 12 April 2017

Itchy Feet

I haven't posted in ages AGAIN mainly due to being lazy and also pretty uninspired during my last month or so in Melbourne, and I have ended up living here for SIX MONTHS now, which is way longer than I expected to be there when I first arrived.

Melbourne is a great city, and even though I hated it at first, it really grew on me over time. It's an exciting place, very cool and there's SO much to do here with some sort of event or festival or gig on every single weekend, as well as an abundance of hidden bars and healthy cafes where everything tastes amazing (this took a significant chunk of my $$. I regret nothing.) It's so easy to enjoy yourself and spend a lot of money here. I had to constantly remind myself that I was there to save not spend. I was fortunate enough to get in to a great share house and make a lot of friends who are also backpacking, which made such a difference. I also landed a great temp - job working with some amazing people. It's the people that make the place! I will do a full review of Melbourne as a city, what it is like to live there and how it compares to Sydney in another post :).

                   St Kilda Festival - it's free!

It took so long to settle down in Melbourne and build all of the components of a steady routine from complete scratch. Once I'd accomplished that, it was so relieving to have my own space, the same bed, and all of my belongings hung up and in drawers rather than squashed into a 60L backpack. But once the novelty wore off I was itching to leave again.

It's so easy to get stuck into a comfortable rut at any point in life. It's nice to have a set routine and all of the comforts of home and habit that make living day to day so much easier. I don't know if I was ever fully "comfortable" at any point in Melbourne, as I always had this nagging urge at the back of my head reminding me that this wasn't what I came for, to settle down or live a life I could live at home in the U.K, anything ordinary. I came to travel, to push myself and see new places.

It's no secret that you need some hefty funds behind you to travel. Living and working Melbourne was a necessary part of my journey. I knew when I left home that I wanted to be away long-term (I'm defining long-term as a year or longer away from home), and so I knew I'd have to stop somewhere and top up my savings at some point. However, after a good couple of months on a steady income I have finally left to travel up the East Coast of Australia. See you soon Melbourne. It's been real <3

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Soul Healths. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig