Wednesday 22 June 2016

Island Life


White sands, crystal clear waters and lush green mountainous surroundings; Thailand's islands are postcard picture paradise. Like most people, Thailand was brought to my attention years ago after watching The Beach. I was seduced, not by Leo DiCaprio but by the idea of ultimate escapism on an idyllic, untouched island. Years later and the journey to Thailand's islands is a path well trodden, dismissed by some who say that tourism has ruined Thailand. Despite this I still longed to go. It was a thirst I knew I could not quench until I had drank in the experience for myself.

PARADISE

We headed straight to Koh Tao and it did not disappoint. Many travelers flock to Koh Tao to do their diving PADI, as the tiny island is the second cheapest place in the world to receive this qualification. The streets are lined with various diving resorts and centers along with restaurants, cafes, bars and shops. Everything is accessible. I chose not to do my PADI as I wanted a good amount of time to explore the island, so we rented a scooter out, got a map and set off.

I thought the roads were difficult to navigate in Pai but they were nothing compared to Koh Tao. They were absolutely treacherous. We headed south of the island first to Shark Bay to go snorkeling, and despite a few steep declines and winding narrow roads this wasn't too bad. We made it to Shark Bay in one piece and I stepped foot on the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life. It was a "pinch me" moment. I also got to experience snorkeling for the first time, which I fell in love with immediately and was thoroughly enjoying until somebody warned us that there was a shark swimming nearby (we were on Shark Bay after all.) I decided it was time to get out then.




Afterwards we headed north to go to the viewpoint at Mango bay and this is where things got tough. Steep inclines, sharp bends and rocky dirt paths are not a good combination for scooters. Some confident drivers were speeding ahead with a self-assurance that showed they were used to these roads. We had to abandon the scooter and walk, and were rewarded with a breathtaking view of the island (and a little companion to enjoy the view with!)




PURE ABANDONMENT

After Koh Tao came Koh Phangan. Koh Phangan gained popularity for it's famous Full Moon party, which started out in the early eighties as a hippy gathering to celebrate the full moon. Sounds beautiful doesn't it? What was once a small intimate setting is now a huge tourist attraction. Haad Rin beach pulsates with a sweaty throng of travelers and chart music saturated with processed beats. Did I go? Yes. Did I have fun? Honestly, yes. A group of us from the hostel headed down, and at first I wanted to leave. Maybe at 18 I would have been more excited by the music and the atmosphere but I was dubious now. However I was determined the give it a chance so I succumbed and bought a bucket (gin and tonic), had a dance, and together we headed along the length of the beach to see what else was on offer.

At the end of the beach, a bar set above the rocks and the ocean offers a different experience of the Full Moon party. We danced until the dawn, then sat and watched the sunrise. Watching from above made me feel a bit like Wendy when Neverland comes in to sight. It is a distant land of pure hedonism. It is dreamlike, yet you feel so involved with this energetic moment. I've never felt so attached to a moment of pure pleasure and freedom before. 




THE REST, EATS, SLEEPS AND PARTIES

Blue Water Restaurant, Koh Tao

I loved this place! You can sit out on the beach at night to eat, the food was really fresh and amazing and not too pricey, and they had live acoustic music <3

Shambala Yoga, Koh Tao

As well as exploring the island I also took the chance to do a lot of yoga. Shambala was around the corner from my hostel and only 300 Thai Baht for a 2 hour class. I hadn't done yoga for a while but found the classes really well guided with alternative poses given for the less advanced members. We also did meditation, which I LOVE, at the start and end of each class.

Lazy House Shenanigans Hostel, Koh Phangan

If you want to go to the Full Moon party, make sure you get a place on/very close to Haad Rin beach. It's the heart of the action. We were in a hostel about 20 minutes away from Haad Rin for the first night and felt out of it, so we moved to Lazy House which was a 5 minute walk from the beach. I'm so glad we did. In low season getting accommodation was easy but in high season you have to be really prepared.

Dancing Elephant Hostel Street Party, Koh Phangan

I had so much fun here! Dancing Elephant hostel advertises itself as the biggest party hostel in Koh Phangan. They hosted an amazing street party on the Friday night, we stayed until around 1 AM and it was still going strong when we left.

Jungle Party, Koh Phangan

Some people say that this is better than the Full Moon party. It depends what your looking for. The Jungle party was impressive and had a lot to offer with great DJs, Muay Thai fighting rings and fire performers, but it costs 600 Thai Baht for a ticket and that doesn't include taxi fare there and back. You also have to buy drink coupons, which I think is a hassle. I also lost 1,000 baht there (not that I'm letting that cloud my judgement. At all. Well maybe a bit.) 

Visiting the islands have only made me fall in love with Thailand even more, but I feel that I haven't even scratched the surface of this vibrant country. My visa expires soon and I will be heading in to Laos, but I am making it my mission to return to visit Koh Phi Phi, Krabi and Phuket. Thailand, I miss you already!

Grace xo

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Soul Healths. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig